Sunday, April 8, 2012

by hundreds.

There is something so very magical about fireworks. I remember that the fireworks show was one of the only two things I had truly enjoyed in Disneyland when I visited it around five years ago. In a similar way, fireworks were included in the light show which was one of the events being held to commemorate Titanic's 100th anniversary. The crowd was exceptionally large for a small place like Belfast, and the weather had chilled back down again after a nice week of summery sun. 

There are times where I see something so fine, so magnificent, that I just don't feel it necessary to photograph it. For by doing so, putting a frame around it would seem to be doing it injustice, like you were taking the spirit that breathed with it away. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love photography and the ways in which it can almost immortalise certain scenes, the ways in which you can share something pretty. And that is it being its art on its own. But if you understand, there are some things which you just need to witness yourself and allow them to leave you holding your breath in awe, something you probably wouldn't even realise that you're doing until your lungs go, 'hey, if you don't mind, we need some oxygen here.'

I believe that fireworks are one of those things. As I watched them, I tried to look closer, which started me wondering. And I noticed that they were actually just sparks, colourful sparks. Quite magical, and always managed to leave me entranced somehow. A million sparks that in their groups, looked like lit glitter, then faded away the next moment before you could fully take them in. The only paths they left were those of smoke, frail wisps which were soon blown away. 

I thought about how nice if you were here, if you could've watched them with me. The wind circled me with its chilly breath and I huddled my coat closer.
Then I decided that it was perhaps slightly okay that you weren't here. I decided that I'd watch them for you, and that was what I did.


Below are some pictures of the building built to hold the Titanic exhibition as well as some interesting people among the crowd that caught my eye.

According to this, 'the building is clad in metal shards and when the light plays on them it looks like the movement of water. From above, the building resembles a white star, a symbol of Titanic's operators.' I unfortunately, did not get an aerial view and thus did not see the star.



No comments:

Post a Comment