Monday, October 15, 2012

walking colours of downtown streets

 These are some photos I took while I was back in Penang during the summer. I hung out with Mae for a considerable amount of time, which was nice, even though we had never really hung out in person before. We had always been in different schools, and although we knew each other by names, we were always the friend of friends to one another. I guess it was through time that made us discover that we did like same things, and twitter helped in that respect. 

We went to a concert where local teenage bands were performing, and there was an extra performance by some Australian youths (which you see in the first photo that is above all these words) in an orchestra. I always wish I was shooting, and I believe that one day I will. Be the official photographer or something, of events and all. I say I want it, although it also seems a little terrifying in some respect, the way that you're in charged of the quality of photos that come out. But I guess having the want means that I'll be capable of that, although for now, I still shoot as practice which is a lot more fun because there's no pressure or expectations. And these are the shots.

 I think it's a little funny that one of the best shots I got of the band performing was one I took with my phone. It was probably just the timing; those striped lights came on when I took my camera off my eyes and used my phone for a shot.

Anyway, we didn't stay for the whole concert. There were a few events going on in town that night, and our friend Chandini called to ask if we wanted to go to the Georgetown Festival. So we took off after the first act (which was really good. The band, that is) and walked to Komtar. In high heels. Although that wasn't the weirdest part. It was weird in itself because we'd hardly walked around in Penang before. All those years we'd lived there before we left for other countries, we were used to being driven around in our parents cars. It was that night which changed everything. We walked and walked like we did in UK; up and down the streets stopping for street performances and stalls with food. Occasionally, we went in some buildings which had been converted into little antique shops, cafes and even a bicycle rental shed.


And now I have to go because I have an essay due in two days time and besides writing it, I also need to carry out some research -on modern art and cinema, which should be interesting. I'm back in the UK, and I've made Mondays my library day which means that it's one of my favourite times of the week, whatever others may think.

One last thing: I think I've fallen back in love with photography. I have so many photos to share with you soon.

Till then!
x

1 comment:

  1. hello, dearest! i'm trying to catch up here. it's been a long time since the last time i had time to check blogger--in fact, i shouldn't be here right now cause tomorrow i have an exam, but oh well hahaha. anyway, i just wanted to tell you that you are getting better and better. and that's the truth. you keep on growing, both as a photographer and as a person, and i'm so very proud of you :)

    i send you a lot of kisses, beautiful one!

    ReplyDelete